PAGES:

Monday, May 1, 2000

Dad's Toys - Geiger Counter

One day Dad came home from work toting a Geiger Counter. I do not remember the gadget in great detail, but it did have earphones and a wand, similar to the one in the photo. 

I'm told that Dad and another fellow, a co-worker from the lab I suppose, used to prospect for uranium in the hills of East Tennessee by  driving around the countryside holding the wand out of the car window. As far as I know, they never found any promising sites.

One summer, Dad brought the device along on a family trip to Ohio. Sitting in the back seat of our car, I held the wand out the window for hours, prospecting for uranium. Occasionally the needle on the dial would suddenly jump to the right and the clicking in the earphones would get louder and faster. Excited, I would immediately notify Dad. His response was always "Oh, ok", or words to that effect, and kept on driving. He never stopped to investigate further. I guess he wasn't really interested in prospecting for uranium.

vintage-geiger-counter
A vintage Detectron DG-7geiger counter. Circa 1953.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post